Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 05:57:58 +0200

Could outline.el be cleaned up a little bit, and see how to make it easier
to set up outline-heading-alist for now.  It already has some good capabilities.

> Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 12:36 AM
> From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> To: pietru@caramail.com
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: headings for texinfo-mode using outline-minor-mode
>
> * pietru@caramail.com <pietru@caramail.com> [2021-05-12 07:44]:
> > > `texinfo-mode` is one of the rare modes which explicitly sets
> > > `outline-heading-alist`, so you have the answer in there ;-)
> >
> > Would it not be better for outline-minor-mode to set "outline-heading-alist"
> > for each language.  Then, in each language mode, one simply calls the
> > appropriate function.
>

> That is the thought I assume each of us has.
>
> There are many modes, various macros, functions. Many modes do not
> have its outline structure. Emacs Lisp mode does not have "outline"
> defined, we can just virtualize it and think how to create
> outline. Its structure would greatly depend of the style, and comments
> definition, for example to start writing (defun on the beginning of
> the line. Each user can have different comment definition.
>
> Modes which could be used with outline-minor-mode are especially those
> with lightweight markup languages and some modes use
> outline-minor-mode anyway, so for these it could be done:
>
> adoc-mode and asciidoctor-mode
> t2t-mode for txt2tags
> markdown-mode
> latex-mode and similar TeX macros, like context-mode
>
> I don't know for plain TeX-plain-tex-mode for example as \beginsection
> is just one so far I know. TeX-plain-tex-mode is definitely usable for
> reports that don't require elaborate structures. It is way easier to
> create report with TeX-plain-tex-mode
>
> Hello there
>
> \beginsection
> Here I am
>
> \bye
>
> Whoever now finds good outline-heading-alist post it here, please.
>

> --
> Jean
>
> Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
> https://www.fsf.org/campaigns
>
> Sign an open letter in support of Richard M. Stallman
> https://stallmansupport.org/
> https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy