icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect

From: arvid-harnack
Subject: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 17:27:35 +0200 (CEST)

>From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
>To: arvid-harnack@lavache.com
>Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical-mode not taking effect
>Date: 20/06/2021 13:46:28 Europe/Paris
>Cc: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>;
>   help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org;
>   moasenwood@zoho.eu

>* arvid-harnack@lavache.com <arvid-harnack@lavache.com> [2021-06-20 14:34]:
>> I have pointed out that the idea of making icomplete-vertical as a
>> mode created the problem.

>If it does create the problem depends from a viewpoint and experience,
>knowledge, many various factors. Initially, when I discovered
>`fido-mode' and `icomplete-mode' I was disappointed as `helm' and
>`ivy-mode' look so much better and user experience is safer. There is
>high chance for me personally to make mistakes in the built-in
>completion modes.

I am also disappointed when I see how ivy works.  But helm and
ivy are both too big.  Furthermore, they are external packages.
icomplete can more easily implement a vertical mode with not much
complication than using ivy.  It is very easy to criticise me
about my attitude than recognising a bad job.  I know it is in
development stage, but it is a crucial stage for change before
the implementation hardens in place.  Otherwise it will be much
harder for suggestions to be applied.