Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:06:50 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 2:40 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>>
>> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-21 04:51]:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I noticed the following instructions/tools for Emacs modular configuration:
>> >
>> > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DotEmacsModular
>> > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DotEmacsStructuring
>> > https://github.com/emacs-jp/init-loader
>> >
>> > There are so many ways to do this. What's the preferable way?
>>
>> Whatever you wish and want. You can feel if you need multiple files or
>> not. Solutions are very individuals.
>
> For now, my demand is as follows:
>
> 1. Use straight and use-package as the package manager.

Why? Some special reason?

> 2. All packages configuration file should call 1., especially for a
> testing scenario when debugging a package/several packages.

Why? Just for sake of calling it or you have some better reason?

> 3. Better granular control based on different major mode, popular
> programming languages.

You don't need straight, nor any special package for this, it is how
you structure your code. Check here, granularity is per package (mostly):

https://github.com/amno1/.emacs.d/blob/main/init.org

Nothing external required, just built-in stuff that comes out of the
box. Package.el is used to fetch packages from elpa/melpa and few
simple macros to save some typing, not even use-package needed and I
think it is pretty structured init file. I can even configure
early-init.el as it was a hook, which lets me structure entire init
process in one place.