Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs Modular Configuration: the preferable way.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 23:02:40 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-06-21 05:57]:
>   (let ((emacs-init-files '(
>                             abc.el
>                             align-incal.el
>                             batch.el
>                             bibtex-incal.el
>                             bike.el
>                             bmi.el
>                             buc.el
>                             buffer-menu.el
>                             caps-back.el
>                             close.el
>                             console-keys.el
>                             count.el
>                             custom-vars.el
>                             day.el
>                             dired-incal.el
>                             ecat-incal.el
>                             echo-message.el
>                             edit.el
>                             elpa.el
>                             emacs-shell.el
>                             face.el
>                             file-write-to.el
>                             file.el
>                             fill-incal.el
>                             frame-size.el
>                             geh.el
>                             get-search-string.el
>                             help-incal.el
>                             info-incal.el
>                             isbn-verify.el
>                             issn-verify.el
>                             iterate-files.el
>                             jean.el
>                             keys.el
>                             kill-path.el
>                             kill.el
>                             latex.el
>                             lights.el
>                             linux-shell.el
>                             list-quoted-functions.el
>                             man-incal.el
>                             match-data-format.el
>                             math.el
>                             measure.el
>                             minor-modes.el
>                             misc.el
>                             mode-by-filename.el
>                             mode-line.el
>                             navigate-fs-keys.el
>                             negative-subtraction.el
>                             perm.el
>                             printer.el
>                             quit.el
>                             random.el
>                             re-make-list.el
>                             replace-list.el
>                             revert-buffer.el
>                             scale.el
>                             scroll.el
>                             search-regexp-in-files.el
>                             sequence-string.el
>                             shell-cli.el
>                             show-command.el
>                             signal.el
>                             sort-incal.el
>                             spell.el
>                             street.el
>                             string.el
>                             sudo-user-path.el
>                             super.el
>                             survivor.el
>                             switch-to-buffer-regexp.el
>                             switch-to-buffer.el
>                             tabs.el
>                             test-face.el
>                             test.el
>                             time-cmp.el
>                             time-incal.el
>                             time-insert.el
> [...]

You have many files to load and they are probably in different
directories together with other files which are not to be loaded.

I would then create a new directory and use key command `Y' from
package `dired-x' to place symbolic link in the designated directory.

In that directory I would have symbolic links of files that have to be
loaded. If I don't need a file, I would remove symbolic link. The
original file would be wherever it is.

Then instead of having the long list there and updating it each time,
I would use this:

(mapc 'load-file (directory-files "~/.emacs.d/" t ".el$"))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman