Re: Quote by Knuth

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Quote by Knuth
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 18:02:49 +0200

Alexandre Garreau wrote:

> We should count LaTeX programmers and org-mode users,
> I think these are most of that population.

OK, because they use natural language? I don't remember a lot
of natural language (e.g., English) in LaTeX if you exclude
the text of the actual document to be produced, but that
doesn't influence the actual programming part, does it?

> I'm not even sure of what's the count of programmers
> worldwide already so well

First one needs a definition, then a way of counting or
a method of approximating how many people fulfill
that definition.

One can count professional programmers - that doesn't
necessarily say so much about their ability, just that they
earn money from doing it - and one can also count the number
of people who have an education within the field.

Maybe from that number, one can assume something like, for
every such person, 99 additional people know how to do it.

> Millions could indeed be a great exageration

One should remove such statements ("millions"), or replace it
with "several", perhaps...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal