Quote by Knuth

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Quote by Knuth
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 23:57:42 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2021 at 8:06 AM
> From: "Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Quote by Knuth
>
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Maybe Knuth's quote is related to literate programming.
>
>   Literate programming is a programming paradigm introduced by
>   Donald Knuth in which a computer program is given an
>   explanation of its logic in a natural language, such as
>   English, interspersed with snippets of macros and
>   traditional source code, from which compilable source code
>   can be generated. The approach is used in scientific
>   computing and in data science routinely for reproducible
>   research and open access purposes. Literate programming
>   tools are used by millions of programmers today.
>   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literate_programming>
>
> It is? Mix English and macros and source to generate code?
>
> Sounds like a bad idea if you ask me but who am I to argue
> with millions of programmers?

It is a very bad idea.  Mathematician will reject it for serious work.
But for non-serious work or simple notes, there is some benefit.  But
I would not praise it to the young because in schools anything goes these
days.

You can certainly argue with millions of programmers, if you do it consciously.
But perhaps the conclusion has not been part of your experience, so you
hesitate.

> Anyone has an example of this?
>
> > It is nice to have quotes.
>
> Quote wars!
>
> I start:
>
>   You can fire your arrows from the tower of Babylon, but you
>   can NEVER strike God!

Because God does not exist.