Re: Emacs i18n

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 00:55:48 +0200

Le dimanche 18 juillet 2021, 00:06:03 CEST Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit
:
> > On Jul 18, 2021, at 5:57, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
> > Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:>
> > Alexandre Garreau wrote:
> >> Translating emacs would require to translate many
> >> identifiers, it would actually amount to translate
> >> a programming language
> >
> > I don't think anyone suggests doing that, I think what can be
> > translated is *the interface*, so for example in the menu
> > "Quit" or "Exit" or whatever it says (I'm not a menu user)
> > _that_ would be translated.
>
> Along with the help and the other user-facing strings (for ex, some
> strings in package.el)
>
> Doing the UI only is not useful. The UI and the help would be
> tremendously useful.

For me, a great deal of emacs UI are command + docstring, and I bet a
great deal of menu comes from command and variable names…

But that makes me think that something really useful would be translating
the manual, especially the less changing parts u.u