Re: Emacs i18n

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 00:32:49 +0700

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 15:55, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Translating huge books is just an immense wasted effort that
> also have several negative effects that I've mentioned
> already. For example this book
>
> @book{introduction-to-algorithms,
>   author     = {Cormen and Leiserson and Rivest and Stein},
>   edition    = {2nd edition},
>   isbn       = {0-268-53196-8},
>   publisher  = {MIT Press},
>   title      = {Introduction to Algorithms},
>   year       = {2001}
> }
>
> It is 1184 pages!
>
> And that format (book heft) isn't uncommon!
>
> Are you going to translate this to French because some French
> guys aren't good enough English readers?

[This one?][1] It has been translated into Russian and it is being
sold at ~73 USD. Which is a lot for a book, and still it seems there
is demand for it.

(As for me, if I personally wanted to own a copy of that book, I could
probably buy it in English on Amazon for cheaper. I’ve seen enough
books whose translations were inaccurate, inelegant or any combination
of the above.)

[1]: https://www.ozon.ru/product/algoritmy-postroenie-i-analiz-33769775/