Re: Emacs i18n

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 12:34:54 +0200

Emanuel, you talk a lot about competition and restriction, I’m skimming
anything about nationalism (that’s getting wayyyy too irrelevant):

you say “why would people put themselves at disadvantage” while not
everyone lives with unique main purpose to be “the best”, and not doing an
effort to be above some level is not “purposedly putting oneself at
disadvantage”.

you say restricting oneself to a non-english language is stupid hence
translating from english is stupid, but as we already said, many people
*already speak english* and yet prefer to read in their native language,
and yet a book in english might be a barrieer.  A ~1000 pages book might
be considered difficult to begin with, if it’s in the native language it
will be deemed a lot easier.  Same for manuals, references, etc.

On the other hand, speaking and reading are two very different activity,
with different phrasing, and different difficulty.  You could easily speak
english if that’s the only solution available, you could easily write in
it, that’s still easy, since it comes from your brain… but reading in it
is going to require more cognitive load than reading in one’s native
language.