Re: Emacs 27 - Changing the "selective display character" (also called "

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 27 - Changing the "selective display character" (also called "ellipsis")
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 16:51:51 +0300

> From: A M <alex334599@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 12:07:07 +0200
>
> I would like to change the "selective display character" (also called
> "ellipsis", default is "...") to some other character, an arrow
> character would be nice.
>
> Up until Emacs 27, I used the code below in my init.el , it worked just
> great.
>
> ;Change the default selective display ("folding") character "..." to " »".
> (set-display-table-slot standard-display-table
>                          'selective-display (string-to-vector " »"))
>
> With Emacs 27 this no longer works. I have tested by using
> 'selective-display' (C-x $) on my init.el as a simple test, I get the
> default "...".
> Could you help me by providing a working method for Emacs 27?

I cannot reproduce the problem you are reporting: the above works for
me in Emacs 27 (and in Emacs 28).  The "..." is replaced with the
arrow character.

Just to be sure: to test this you invoke "C-x $" with a numeric
argument that determines the column past which you want to have the
ellipsis, yes?

I suggest to try this in "emacs -Q"; if it works there, there are some
customizations of yours that get in the way.