Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 17:26:38 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:36 PM Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Then it's from a package and you need to identify it.
>>
>> To be clear about one point -
>>
>> You don't _need_ to identify it or change it.  You can
>> likely do so without creating problems, if you want to.
>>
>> Deprecation does not mean desupport.  Library `cl.el' is
>> still _supported_.  At some future point it might become
>> desupported (probably will) - but it's supported now.
>>
>> In addition, if you find (require 'cl) in some 3rd-party
>> library that you use, what do you intend to do about that?
>>
>> You can notify the library maintainers, so they can decide
>> what to do or inform you about what you might do.  Or you
>> can modify that library source code yourself, to replace
>> that with (require 'cl-lib).
>>
>> But besides not _needing_ to do any such thing, be aware
>> that a 3rd-party library may use such code intentionally,
>> for backward compatibility (even if you don't need that,
>> the library might want it, for other users on older Emacs
>> versions).
>>
>> So if it's about a 3rd-party library, you might want to
>> check with its maintainers.
>>
>> If it's a (require 'cl) in vanilla Emacs code then you
>> can file a bug report / enhancement request, to let the
>> Emacs maintainers know about it: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>>
>> In any case, if you report it to whomever its maintainers
>> are, even if it gets "fixed" right away, unless you use
>> the most recent source code available (e.g. build Emacs
>> yourself, if the fix is in Emacs itself), you'll need to
>> wait some.
>>
>> Remember, this is a byte-compiler warning message.  It's
>> not an error message.  There's really nothing that you
>> _need_ to fix.  But if the warning really bothers you then...
>
> Got it. Thank you for your explanation and systematic comments.
>
> Regards,
> Hongyi

By now you have got so many good explanations and tips. Here is one
curiosa, if you have Helm and Ag (silversearcher) installed, then you
can do grep search in your elpa catalogue and get nice visual list of
which packages haven't updated their require statements (and probably
cl- prefix too). This is a screenhot from my Emacs, and as I see even
some packages updated as late as in 2021 does still come with old
require 'cl statements.