Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Package cl is deprecated
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 10:23:03 +0800

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:26 PM Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> >> To be clear about one point -
> >>
> >> You don't _need_ to identify it or change it.  You can
> >> likely do so without creating problems, if you want to.
> >>
> >> Deprecation does not mean desupport.  Library `cl.el' is
> >> still _supported_.  At some future point it might become
> >> desupported (probably will) - but it's supported now.
> >>
> >> In addition, if you find (require 'cl) in some 3rd-party
> >> library that you use, what do you intend to do about that?
> >>
> >> You can notify the library maintainers, so they can decide
> >> what to do or inform you about what you might do.  Or you
> >> can modify that library source code yourself, to replace
> >> that with (require 'cl-lib).
> >>
> >> But besides not _needing_ to do any such thing, be aware
> >> that a 3rd-party library may use such code intentionally,
> >> for backward compatibility (even if you don't need that,
> >> the library might want it, for other users on older Emacs
> >> versions).
> >>
> >> So if it's about a 3rd-party library, you might want to
> >> check with its maintainers.
> >>
> >> If it's a (require 'cl) in vanilla Emacs code then you
> >> can file a bug report / enhancement request, to let the
> >> Emacs maintainers know about it: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
> >>
> >> In any case, if you report it to whomever its maintainers
> >> are, even if it gets "fixed" right away, unless you use
> >> the most recent source code available (e.g. build Emacs
> >> yourself, if the fix is in Emacs itself), you'll need to
> >> wait some.
> >>
> >> Remember, this is a byte-compiler warning message.  It's
> >> not an error message.  There's really nothing that you
> >> _need_ to fix.  But if the warning really bothers you then...
> >
> > Got it. Thank you for your explanation and systematic comments.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Hongyi
>
> By now you have got so many good explanations and tips. Here is one
> curiosa, if you have Helm and Ag (silversearcher) installed, then you
> can do grep search in your elpa catalogue

In my situation, I use straight [1] as the package manager, so the
corresponding catalog is located at `~/.emacs.d/straight/repos/'.

> and get nice visual list of
> which packages haven't updated their require statements (and probably
> cl- prefix too). This is a screenhot from my Emacs, and as I see even
> some packages updated as late as in 2021 does still come with old
> require 'cl statements.

Based on your above notes, I tried with helm-ag [2], and with the
pattern `(require 'cl)', 38 candidates are retrieved. See the
attachment for more detailed info.

[1] https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el
[2] https://github.com/emacsorphanage/helm-ag

Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province