Re: Set the default-directory dynamically according to the buffer-file-n

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Set the default-directory dynamically according to the buffer-file-name.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 05:37:03 +0200

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Yes, that's it. So, my code snippet is unnecessary.

I have 100+ Elisp files [1] and if everything unnecessary was
to be identified and dropped I think that would mean -25 files
or more :)

But I got an idea recently that I told you about already, but
I can tell you again, only I only implemented it to a very
small degree so far (if I'll ever complete the intention),
anyway it is a good idea, and simple as well, namely, keep all
configuration (within a field) in _one_ file, and all
extensions (within the same field) in other, separate files -
that way people can browse the extensions, and use it if they
like it, or tell me if it is, in your words, "unnecessary" -
I don't think they will, but chances are better since no one
wants to browse some other guy's mere options ...

Also with this configuration/extension split on can easily add
the extensions to a place like the EmacsWiki, just ship it
with no prior edit needed!

If only I had come up with this idea 10~15 years ago. Regrets,
I have but a few ... No, just kidding :) A detail of course.

I only did it for ERC so far, I think? Have a look

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/

--
underground experts united