Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:51:03 +0200

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>> That way you get Rcirc ... not recommended, use ERC.
>>
>> M-x irc works so fine.
>
> I hope so :)
>
> But I think ERC is more powerful and now (it wasn't always
> like that) it seems to have a very active little team of
> developers working on it at a very high skill level!

Hey, don't underestimate the work Philip Kaludercic has done in rcirc
lately, e.g., support for several IRCv3 features, and support for SASL
authentication!  Also note that "rcirc" is almost part of his lastname
which suggests a bright future, doesn't it?

> BTW maybe ERC should be invoked on M-x irc RET ?

I think that's off the table.  Users who always used M-x irc RET
shouldn't face a situation where another client is invoked and their
configs are disregarded.

Bye,
Tassilo