Re: RTL lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RTL lines
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:04:02 +0300

> From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:26:18 +0200
>
> I really should read all emacs manual, I even have it printed…

That's a large job.  But you don't need to read the manual in its
entirety, you can read it subject by subject, based on subjects that
are of interest, and using 'i' (Info-index) to find where a subject is
described.

> > The above will do that per paragraph.  That is, each paragraph will be
> > LTR or RTL depending on the first "strong directional" character in
> > that paragraph.
>
> Thinking to it, yes, a paragraph is the most meaningful semantical unit to
> do that.  I guess in any file where lines can be filled (like, except csv
> files for instance) there wouldn’t be sense to do that…

That's not our invention, that's what the Unicode Bidirectional
Algorithm (which Emacs implements) mandates.

> …but I thought the definition of a paragraph was contextual, and determined
> what M-q would do… but here I notice it isn’t: it’s barely “any portion of
> text separated by a blank line”, so many bullets within org-mode (whose
> each would be filled/wrapped separately by M-q), and even several
> *sections* in org/outline-mode would be considered as a paragraph, until
> the next blank line, even in the middle of a subsection…

The reordering of bidirectional text for display has its own separate
definition of what is a paragraph, see bidi-paragraph-start-re and
bidi-paragraph-separate-re.

> > (This all is supposed to be well documented in the Emacs manual.
> > Hint, hint...)
>
> Emacs is very big and so is its manual, but yes I should get more of an
> habit of searching within it, instead of simply limiting myself to doing
> C-h (maybe both kind of documentations could be hyperlinked? maybe they
> already are…)

No need to read everything, just type "i bidi RET", and you will land
in the right spot.