Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: RTL l

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: RTL lines]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:50:17 +0200

I just coincidentally ended on a webpage with a vertical script (which
surprisingly to me displayed correctly under firefox):

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakhaline

However copypasting that into emacs, or viewing the page with Eww makes
that text incorrectly LTR.  Hence I suppose emacs doesn’t yet support
viewing and editing TTB/BBT text as such…

Have there been an attempt at that? Anyway, what would a such change
require and how much would it overturn the current display engine? would a
solution to that problem possibly cover up with the problem I raised in
the other almost-homonym thread?