backward-sexp throws scan-error "Unbalanced parentheses", but forward-se

From: ndame
Subject: backward-sexp throws scan-error "Unbalanced parentheses", but forward-sexp works
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 16:49:23 +0000

I sometimes run into the situation with huge elisp lists, that I cannot use
backward-sexp, because it throws an error, but forward-sexp works on the same
list. Then, after a while it fixes itself without changing the buffer and
backwards-sexp works too. I suspect scrolling through the file fixes it, so it
might be connected to fontification? Though it's just a guess, I don't see how
they could be related.

Is there a known situation when the same elisp list can be navigated forward,
but not backward?

I'm on Emacs 27.1. Was there a related bug fixed in 28?

I cannot yet replicate the problem knowingly, it just occurs every once in a
while.