Re: Building --with-native-compilation on Ubuntu 18.04 LT

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Building --with-native-compilation on Ubuntu 18.04 LT
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 00:40:33 +0100

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>
>>> What's the hesitation?
>>
>> I don't want to mess with the preinstalled OS of this Dell
>> laptop where every piece of hardware is working as it was
>> conceived to work.
>
> You are not messing with the OS by installing software!
> Or what do you mean?

But installing from the package archives of the respective OS version.
Unfortunately gcc-9 and -10 are not available on Ubuntu 18.04.  I'm
hesitant to upgrade the OS and likewise applying things like backports
or snap packages, which might work for the moment but might later bite
you back.

          Dieter
--
Best wishes