Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server

From: Felix Dietrich
Subject: Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 17:03:10 +0100

Let me preface this reply with the note that I do not have access to a
computer with MacOS and have, therefore, no real clue.  I also do not
have a HiDPI display.  This is just a shot in the dark.

t@fullmeta.me writes:

> Ideally I wish I could run X version in all its GUI glory, but XQuartz
> on OSX can't handle hiDPI or I failed to figure a way to get
> reasonable resolution. Ditto `xpra`. Linux to Linux it actually works
> just fine.

I donʼt think I am able to properly picture your issue, but searching
for HiDPI in conjunction once with XQuartz and once with Emacs delivered
a couple of suggestions:

    1) Use xrandr to set the DPI [1]

       Supposedly this requires to “enable full screen mode in XQuartz”.
       This site also states that “we canʼt make this permanent”, but I
       suspect that there is a script somewhere in which you could plug
       the xrandr command, or possibly a configuration option (see the
       next point).

       $ xrandr --output default --mode 5120x2880 --dpi 218

    2) Ways to set the DPI [2]

       This one is somewhat Linux specific, but maybe you can find a way
       to adjust file locations for the MacOS environment.

       - Set “Xft.dpi” in “$HOME/.Xresources”.

       - Monitor section in xorg.conf.d/40-dpi.conf

         # Will set your DPI to 141x141 if the screen is 1080p
         Section "Monitor"
             Identifier   "<default monitor>"
             DisplaySize  340 190    # In millimeters
         EndSection

      - “-dpi” argument to X

    3) Set a higher font size in Emacs [3]

        (let ((FONT "Droid Sans Mono-30"))
          (setf (alist-get 'font default-frame-alist) FONT)
          (set-face-attribute ’default t :font FONT))

There is also “x2go” which uses XQuartz, but its programmers may have
already figured out the correct settings to provide to it.

Had you already found and tried these?

Footnotes:
[1]  <https://xw.is/wiki/HiDPI_XQuartz>

[2]