Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:46:12 +0100

t@fullmeta.me writes:

Hi,

> Now, do you see the problem with TRAMP? TRAMP is essentially an SSH
> session spawned from local Emacs already running. It ends up talking
> to your login shell over ssh basically. But we need this Guix induced
> or potentially even containerized environment. There needs to be some
> kind of "hop" or additional step after TRAMP establishes an ssh
> connection that puts its shell in appropriate environment. Is there a
> way to do that?

Tramp does not support this (yet). But your use case is not the only
one; Python developers have asked also for Tramp support of virtual
environments.

I have no idea what the best solution will be. Maybe some additional
configuration means for SSH based Tramp methods. Or maybe an additional
"environment hop" for Tramp (interesting idea, btw).

I'm willing to work on that. However, I'm neither a Guix or Python user,
so I need support in order to understand what is needed.

In order to track this, it might help if you could write en Emacs bug.

Best regards, Michael.