Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server

From: t
Subject: Re: local emacsclient to remote emacs server
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:01:32 +0000

> Anyway, I think your best bet now is TRAMP. You can do a lot of things
> in TRAMP including running remote commands.

Yes, this is another possible route, and FWIW once you figure out appropriate
settings for TRAMP and your remote it mostly works. However, my need is
complicated some by the remote environment I envision. So, here goes.

Are there any Emacs TRAMP users connecting to Guix machine here? My use case is
this. I would like to be able to use said remote machine for all my dev work.
Of course the selling point of Guix is that you can setup reproducible and
minimal execution environments for your code and hacking - think Virtualenv
pushed to its logical conclusion. So, typically I'd do the following:

1. mkdir myproj
2. drop a manifest.scm or guix.scm script inside that has input packages and
sets up services, possibly entire OS definition in system.scm
3. spawn this programmed environment `guix shell -D -f guix.scm` or inside a
container `guix shell -c` or if I really need to be close to production or run
services spawn entire OS in a container `guix system -c system.scm`
4. start Emacs inside that environment

Now, do you see the problem with TRAMP? TRAMP is essentially an SSH session
spawned from local Emacs already running. It ends up talking to your login
shell over ssh basically. But we need this Guix induced or potentially even
containerized environment. There needs to be some kind of "hop" or additional
step after TRAMP establishes an ssh connection that puts its shell in
appropriate environment. Is there a way to do that?