Re: Emacs --with-pgtk and use-package

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Emacs --with-pgtk and use-package
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 21:32:24 +0800

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Actually, I used xrandr to downscale. used Xft.dpi to tell clients to
> about the DPIs. Normally it works in multiple of 96. So I specified 192
> and then downscaled using xrandr --scale 1.25x1.25. This is to achieve
> fractional scaling.

Ah.  I don't think there's any window system that really gets fractional
scaling right.  AFAIR GNOME Shell is the only Wayland compositor that
even supports fractional scaling at all, but that information could be
several years out of data.

> Resetting everything else to default settings and just specifying
>
> output DP-2 scale 2
>
> in the ‘sway’ config file. It works fine except that now everything is
> too big. Other GTK apps scale well.

That isn't the fractional scale you want, so it explains why everything
is too big.

I don't think there's a way to get fractional scaling working on
GNU/Linux without some blurriness, but your best bet is probably GNOME
on Wayland with a PGTK build.

> But Emacs without pgtk is pixelated.  How to achieve smooth rendering
> of buffers and the menubar items without building --with-pgtk?

That's impossible on Wayland, where a build without PGTK will run inside
Xwayland, which doesn't support scaling at all, so the resulting windows
are upscaled by the Wayland compositor.

Besides, PGTK is not supposed to break use-package at all.

Thanks.