Re: Navigating an enormous code base

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Navigating an enormous code base
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 18:10:35 +0200

John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> writes:

>> Why don't you give it a whirl and see whether this suits you?
>
> Because it misses the point.  I am not looking
> to navigate by tags, but rather by filename.

In your original message you mention millions of lines of code but not
how many files.

Here, finding a file on the LLVM repo (> 100k files) works well enough
(for me) with ido+flx. flx is quite cpu-intensive and the UI feels a bit
sluggish, specially the first time the command is invoked, but combining
ido with some other filtering method (flex, for instance) should improve
that facet while at the same time providing a reasonably effective
method of finding the file of interest.

The list of candidate paths is generated by `git ls' (which takes about
two seconds here, but you could use a finer method that concentrates on
your areas of interest.) Then finding something like

llvm/include/llvm/Support/X86TargetParser.h

`isxtph' or `x8tph' provides that file as the first candidate.

An effective usage requires knowledge about the directory structure,
understanding the filtering algorithm and some practice.