Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Spaces rather than tabs by a major mode hook
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 00:36:51 +0300

On 12.06.2022 00:17, goncholden wrote:
I have tried that.  You get encouraged it might work.  Until you press return
on the end of the line.  Then emacs deletes all the tabs.

Aaand you can disable 'electric-indent-mode' to get rid of this behavior.

Emacs should have a minor-mode or settings that only keep the highlighting for
the specific major-mode, and allows the user
to format as one pleases.

The general expectation is that our users's projects adhere to some common rules WRT indentation, with only a few parameters varying between them (which can be customized). When that holds, Emacs's way is way more efficient in practice.

And when one works on a rare exception, they can tweak their config accordingly. A minor mode could be helpful, I suppose, but the customizations I suggested are fairly easy to do already.