Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:32:11 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

> New users do not usually know many keybinding sequences such
> as `M-n` to show `DEF`.

Maybe not but why can only do it as good and fast and powerful
as possible, what some people may or may not know at some
point of their learning curve can't influence that.

>> Besides the utility of having an initial value that is
>> different from a default.
>
> I agree to this notion as being heavy user of this function.

No ... it doesn't work like that, if you can't say what that
is it shouldn't be there. The default is the default, what is
the initial value? Useful? Oh-no.

What's wrong with this and when doesn't it work? I dare you ...

(let ((name "Danger"))
  (read-string (format "name: [%s] " name) nil nil name) )

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal