Re: How to persist registers across sessions?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to persist registers across sessions?
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 12:04:06 +0300

> Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 11:46:49 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Purpose is to isolate that information and become able to store it on
> file or inside of the database, so that I can use a key to set some of
> preset window configurations from session to session and in quick
> manner.

"Use" it how?  To do what with those "preset window configurations"?
That was my question, and you didn't really answer it.

> Desktop.el saves everything, and offers directory to user to save
> it. Saving hundreds of buffers takes long time and loading desktop
> again simply does not work on my side. My buffers are many, like now
> there is 795 buffers. Then it starts first that I have to confirm
> variables, then I see million messages how some directories do not
> exist as Dired was accessing mounted disks, it really takes long
> time. From 795 buffers, I get 294 buffers.
>
> It is definitely NOT that what I want, it is not practical.
>
> What I want is:
>
> 1) Having 3-5 buffers in specific window configuration. Regardless of
>    other buffers, I wish to be able to restore such window
>    configuration.
>
> 2) Having possibility to save multiple such window configurations and
>    quickly with minimum keys or with menu get access to it.

I pointed to frameset.el, which is a lower-level infrastructure used
by desktop.el.  It should allow you to save and restore windows of a
single frame, if that suits your needs better.

> If at least I get clue how to get the split parameters of a frame,
> modes, its sizes of windows, as Lisp data, then I would be fine with
> it, and then I can myself assign something to those buffers. My
> buffers are too often buffers related to database, table, column and
> ID and do not have files attached.

The clues, as you were told, are in frameset.el and in desktop.el.  If
their high-level interfaces don't suit your needs, my suggestion would
be to study their implementations, and derive your own code from what
they do.