Re: Unicode characters for transcribing to pdf

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Unicode characters for transcribing to pdf
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:28:01 +0100

On Wednesday, 31 Aug 2022 at 16:32, wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor wrote:
> Then using pdflatex to make the pdf.  But pdflatex is reporting that
> unicode character ħ (U+0127) is not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
> What Gnu program could I use that is UTF-8 aware?

Instead of using another program, you can tell LaTeX how to generate the
character you want when it is encountered.  Something along these lines
should work:

\usepackage{newunicodechar}
\newunicodechar{α}{\ensuremath{\alpha}}
\newunicodechar{±}{\ensuremath{\pm}}

based on the newunicodechar package and assuming you can build up the
character glyph you want from basic LaTeX commands, including maths
mode.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-08-16) on Debian 11.4