Re: Unicode characters for transcribing to pdf

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Unicode characters for transcribing to pdf
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 23:37:28 +0200

On Wed, Aug 31 2022, wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor wrote:
> Have been writing a tex document on emacs utilising UTF-8.
>
> Then using pdflatex to make the pdf.  But pdflatex is reporting that unicode
> character ħ (U+0127) is not set up for use with LaTeX.
>
> What Gnu program could I use that is UTF-8 aware?  I know this has nothing to
> do
> with emacs,
> but I do not know any latex gnu program that can make pdf from latex and to
> which I can send
> this description to an appropriate mailing list.

Use xelatex or lualatex if you have utf-8 encoded input files. They are two
alternative TeX engines that are normally included in every TeX distribution.

If you use AUCTeX (which you should), set the TeX engine to use with the
variable `TeX-engine`.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments