Re: autorepeat behavior in emacs 28.2 running in WSL

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: autorepeat behavior in emacs 28.2 running in WSL
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 12:32:11 +0800

cabbage--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> When I would hold down a key for probably 660 ms it would repeat for many
> minutes making emacs unresponsive. I finally tried xset r off and now, holding
> down a key still autorepeats, but doesn't make emacs unresponsive.
>

> Where does that come from? I might want the autorepeat behavior at some point.
> I'd like to be able to restore it in X and not have emacs go bananas.

It comes from both Windows and X.  Windows autorepeats the keystrokes,
which are then sent to Wayland (against the Wayland spec.)  Then,
Microsoft's modified copy of Xwayland autorepeats each of those
keystrokes as well, causing the speed of autorepeat to grow increasingly
faster the longer you hold down a key.

The WSL X server is of extremely low quality and is best poked at with a
very long stick.  The longer, the better.