Re: Lisp error on function :documentation

From: Heime
Subject: Re: Lisp error on function :documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:08:42 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, October 17th, 2022 at 1:22 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org writes:
>
> > If `:documentation` does what he needs, it's a much simpler solution.
> >
> > Stefan "to be blamed for both `:documentation` and OClosures"
>

> To be blamed to show up too late here, first and foremost.
>
> Ok, so the argument of :documentation is a form that is eval'led
> dynamically, and not only when the definition is evaluated, is that
> correct? Then it would be the simplest solution by far indeed.
>
> Michael.

That was my implementation.  After all, I did do my homework.  If the
emacs maintainers can clear up recommendations against using undocumented
features (allowing use of :documentation it a defun as acceptable, or providing
alternative that is acceptable and does the equivalent), life would be good.