Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: generating a git repo: main instead of master
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:31:31 +0300

* Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> [2022-11-13 11:05]:
> It seems that more and more public repositories expect that the

master has many definitions:

* Overview of noun master

The noun master has 10 senses (first 6 from tagged texts)
1. (8) maestro, master -- (an artist of consummate skill; "a master of the
violin"; "one of the old masters")
2. (5) overlord, master, lord -- (a person who has general authority over
others)
3. (1) victor, master, superior -- (a combatant who is able to defeat rivals)
4. (1) master -- (directs the work of others)
5. (1) headmaster, schoolmaster, master -- (presiding officer of a school)
6. (1) master, master copy, original -- (an original creation (i.e., an audio
recording) from which copies can be made)
7. master, captain, sea captain, skipper -- (an officer who is licensed to
command a merchant ship)
8. master -- (someone who holds a master's degree from academic institution)
9. master, professional -- (an authority qualified to teach apprentices)
10. passkey, passe-partout, master key, master -- (key that secures entrance
everywhere)

So when we use "master" in git repositories, the definition number
6. applies, as in "master copy".

For everybody's attention, the definition "master" in git does not
apply to any living person who has general authority over others.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman