Re: PSGML broken?

From: Ulrich Deiters
Subject: Re: PSGML broken?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 17:37:11 +0100

The tarball you've installed contains psgml.texi.  You can run

  pdftex psgml.texi …
Yes, now that you mention it, I found the file. I had been looking
for the usual README or for PDF files.

So your installation of PSGML seems to be broken.  How did you install
it, and how was that installation different from what you had with
Emacs 25?

This was probably the case. I brought my Emacs-27.2 up,
entered "M-x package-list", and deleted psgml. Then
I installed it again, and for reasons unknown Emacs
got a fresh psgml code from the Internet and put it into
my .emacs.d directory.

When I then entered "emacs" at a terminal, then did a
"M-x load-library RET psgml", and then used the File → Open File
menu to open an XML file, PSGML behaved correctly.

But:
The autoload instructions from the PSGML manual have no effect.
Instead, I put a "(load "psgml")" instruction into my init_psgml.el
file and force its loading with emacs -l init_psgml.el . This
appears to work. Problem solved!

My impression is that the psgml library has already to be active when
an XML/SGML file is opened. Otherwise Emacs gives preference to its
generic XML and SGML modes, and never loads psgml (autoload is
supposed to load libraries when they are called for). Perhaps it
would be better to have a psgml-mode? The PSGML manual says that
"psgml" is a major mode for Emacs, but one cannot enter
"M-x psgml-mode". Having two SGML modes with the same name is
perhaps confusing.

Anyway, Emacs is working as it should. Thank you all for your
help!

Regards,

Ulrich