Re: [External] : Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) decla

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) declaration?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 18:35:22 +0300

* Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> [2023-01-16 13:39]:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 17:17, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > By above I do not see reference to Lisp. What you state above is not
> > what Lisp function is supposed to do and it does not tell why is it
> > so in Lisp, do you know?
>
> In mathematics the sum of zero elements is zero and the product of
> zero elements is one.

There are no elements in this context.

(+) ➜ 0

Multiplication of zero elements is also zero:
(* 0 0) ➜ 0
but Lisp:
(*) ➜ 1

It is not sufficiently logic. You can put X theories, but make it
consistent.

> In Lisp the + function implements the mathematical sum, and * the
> product. Lisp chooses to allow more than two arguments for the sum
> and product, so why would it impose any artificial restriction on
> less than one?

You may find it entertaining, but I did not get answer that way.

> > > + is a built-in function in ‘C source code’.
> > > (+ &rest NUMBERS-OR-MARKERS)
> > > Return sum of any number of arguments, which are numbers or markers.
>
> What it doesn’t say explicitly is that any markers are implicitly
> converted to numbers. After that, all arguments (if any) are numbers,
> and can be dealt with according to number rules.

Buffer location markers? How do I add markers to each other?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman