Re: [External] : Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) decla

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: How to make M-x TAB not work on (interactive) declaration?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 18:38:44 +0300

* Anders Munch <ajm@flonidan.dk> [2023-01-16 13:58]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
> > I actually expect function to tell me wrong number of arguments or no
> > arguments, as I find it safer for programming that way.
>
> It makes sense for
>        (+)
> to be an error, if it's written like that.
> But if the code goes
>       (apply #'+ a-list-of-numbers)
> then a-list-of-numbers being empty is normal and expected, and 0 is
> invariably the desired result.
> You can't make the former an error without the latter becoming an error as
> well, so it isn't.

(apply #'+ nil) that is what you mean why is it usable?

than this is disaster:

(apply #'* nil) ➜ 1

Do you wish to say that `apply' function is reason for this below?

(*) ➜ 1 and
(+) ➜ 0 and
(-) ➜ 0

Maybe you know some reference to Lisp beginning why is it so?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman