Re: Tab completion doesn't work.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Tab completion doesn't work.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 14:18:13 +0800

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 12:25 PM Michael Heerdegen
<michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > See the attached screenshot for the completion results, which include
> > > `bibtex-completion-cite-commands`.
> >
> > And this also fixed the Tab completion problem discussed in this
> > thread, aka, `bib <Tab>` will give the desired completion, as shown in
> > the screenshot.
>
> Ok - good!
>
> I think you would benefit from enabling `debug-on-error' temporarily
> when your init file is loaded, and/or, even better, start to compile
> your init file regularly, since it will catch a lot of errors and
> problems like this.
>
> This will require some small changes (loading some stuff when compiling
> etc.), but if you try to get rid of any warnings you will avoid most of
> such surprises.

But I also noticed the following description here [1]:

Byte-compiling your init file is not recommended (see Byte Compilation
in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual). It generally does not speed up
startup very much, and often leads to problems when you forget to
recompile the file. A better solution is to use the Emacs server to
reduce the number of times you have to start Emacs (see Using Emacs as
a Server). If your init file defines many functions, consider moving
them to a separate (byte-compiled) file that you load in your init
file.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html

> Michael.

Regards,