Re: Plotting in Emacs?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Plotting in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 06:36:45 +0200

On 2023-05-23, at 20:07, Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski [2023-05-23 Tue 19:18] wrote:
>
>> Well, as I said in my message, I explicitly want to avoid external
>> dependencies (like gnuplot).  And for a solution using gnuplot, showing
>> the plot in the Emacs buffer is a must.
>>
>> That said, chart.el (recommended elsewhere in this thread) is definitely
>> one interesting possibility.
>
> This library looks experimental, with only ascii bar plot support. If
> you want anything nicer you got to use an external package; even Emacs
> built-in Calculator uses gnuplot to draw functions and data.

Well, I was under the impression that ASCII bar plots are the main
purpose of that package...

> As for showing the plot, the babel code block I showed generates the
> following result section
>
> #+RESULTS:
> [[file:a.png]]
>
> Then you only need to make sure org mode shows images by calling
> `org-toggle-inline-images' and it's part of the buffer, if that wasn't
> clear.

Ah, thanks, I missed that.

Still, I think I will (eventually) write my own.  Gnuplot plots are
anything but good-looking (unless properly configured which I do not how
to do) - for good-looking plots I'd go to pgfplot, and for my use-case
I'd really prefer an ASCII art one.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski