Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 23:40:00 +0200

David Masterson wrote:

>>> Conclusion: You are allowed to use the latest Emacs even
>>> if you use Debian :)
>>
>> Absolutely.
>
> But, if you want to use latest Emacs on stable Debian, do
> you have to build Emacs yourself.

For the very latest Emacs version, yes, but that's not
difficult to do if you'd like to do it. [1]

But there is also the backport solution [2] where you'd get
the Emacs version that will appear in the next Debian release,
now the testing one, compiled for Debian stable. This will
perhaps not be the very latest version, but more recent than
what you get with stable.

Third option, you can also manipulate the apt system manually,
if you find a source that provides the latest Emacs with that
method. I've done this for mpv [3] with help from Dutch
friends. [4] Maybe they offer the same for Emacs, no idea,
I'll CC and ask.

> If so, do you have to pull in (a lot of) packages needed to
> build Emacs, but are not in stable Debian?

I did four and they are all in stable.

emacs-install-prepare () {
    sudo apt-get -qq update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential debian-goodies libgccjit-10-dev
    sudo apt-get build-dep emacs
    mkdir -p $emacs_dir
}

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs