Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 00:52:32 +0200

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I think I once started into building emacs from scratch without knowing
> much about apt or anything about snap, flathub, or guix.  I quickly
> started running into installation of large numbers of other dependencies
> that looked like they would require too much overwriting of system
> libraries.

Not really: those dependencies are "-dev" named packages that are used
_only_ for building software.  These don't overwrite system libraries.

Of course you also must install the tools to build emacs (compiler etc),
but I don't recall that the dependencies of those were problematic or
much different from the dependencies of other software.  And the package
manager of the OS always ensures that all installed packages have acceptable
versions of libraries installed.

First and foremost it's important that you understand what you are
doing.  If you don't have a good feeling, don't do it.

Michael.