Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 04:12:39 +0200

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Questions:
> * Can I get details about the Emacs package from snap, flathub, & guix?
> * Particularly, can I find out the Emacs package dependencies?
> * If Emacs uses Gtk, do these commands pull in Gtk as well?

I only can say something about the flathub package I have installed:

  https://flathub.org/apps/org.gnu.emacs

It greets as:

| This is GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
| 3.24.35, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-12-09
| Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

It doesn't seem to have installed any gtk package (I have none installed
with flathub), but I'm not sure how to view the dependencies.

But let me also say that building Emacs yourself in Debian stable is
indeed nearly trivial: I'm very ignorant about such stuff, and after
installing the dependencies once (which was not a big problem, others
have explained what's to do), AFAIR I never again had to care about
them, or extremely rarely (when a fundamentally new feature had been
introduced, like jit-compiling or how images are supported or so).
Updating your OS as often as you would do anyway is good enough.

Michael.