Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 06:28:33 +0200

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 06:26:30PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
> > On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 03:25:00AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> >
> >> Conclusion: You are allowed to use the latest Emacs even if
> >> you use Debian :)
> >
> > Absolutely.
>
> But, if you want to use latest Emacs on stable Debian, do you have to
> build Emacs yourself.  If so, do you have to pull in (a lot of) packages
> needed to build Emacs, but are not in stable Debian?  Then, do you have
> to go through the process of updating these packages to build a clean
> Emacs when you update to a new version of Emacs?

I compile Emacs somewhat irregularly under Debian stable (currently
bullseye). I haven't ever needed anything which hasn't been in the
distro (of course, you'll have to install the appropriate build and
-dev packages, but once you get the hang of it, that isn't hard).

I never liked flats, snaps and hubs.

Cheers