when gnu-make is missing a dependency

From: Randy Yates
Subject: when gnu-make is missing a dependency
Date: 06 May 2005 15:33:23 -0400

I have a goal that has "lpc.o" as a dependency. When
I make that goal, the goal rules attempt to run even
though "lpc.o" does not exist. When I "make lpc.o"
I get a "Nothing to be done" response, even though
lpc.o does not exist.

Why don't I get a "No rule to build lpc.o needed
by <goal>" error when I build for the goal???
And why do I get a "Nothing to be done" response
when the lpc.o target does not exist?
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications