Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries dire

From: fuhz . fr
Subject: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries directories
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:44:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am currently writing a multi platform program for Windows and Linux.
So, I created a autotools-based project in order to make cross-
compilation easy.
I am using Emacs and gcc on Linux.

Since I have two different binary trees, I want to separate the source
and the output directories.
For example:
- MyProject/
- MyProject/src
- MyProject/bin
- MyProject/bin/linux
- MyProject/bin/windows

Now, I have experience some problems:

- Emacs compilation output can not find the sources files
I must specify it for each compilation (very boring).
Or, I can customize compilation-search-directories with absolute paths
(so dirty).

- Some part of the project do not compile anymore.
Makefile.am rules are based on the fact that binaries and source code
are in the same directory.

bin_PROGRAMS = settings-manager-test
settings_manager_test_SOURCES = settings-manager-test.cpp
settings_manager_test_LDADD =  @top_srcdir@/src/common/libcore.la

How can I move this libraries ?

Is there any solutions to make cross-platform development more easy
with Emacs and Autotools ?

Thanks for help.