Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries d

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries directories
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:39:42 -0700

fuhz.fr@gmail.com wrote:
> I am currently writing a multi platform program for Windows and Linux.
> So, I created a autotools-based project in order to make cross-
> compilation easy.
> I am using Emacs and gcc on Linux.

So far so good.

> Since I have two different binary trees, I want to separate the source
> and the output directories.

How are you separating these?  I think that may be the cause of this
next problem that you mention.

> Now, I have experience some problems:
>
> - Emacs compilation output can not find the sources files

This works okay for me with Emacs.  I think it should work okay for
you too.  I suggest looking into this more deeply to determine why it
isn't working for you.  I would try a different project for a
comparision.  Pick a sample GNU distributed project that uses autoconf
and automake and build it using a VPATH build.  Insert a known failure
so that you can test Emacs' ability to find the source file.  I am
sure that in this "standard" case that it will work.  In which case
you will then have an A-B comparison test between a working and
non-working example and can use that to figure out why your case isn't
working.

> I must specify it for each compilation (very boring).
> Or, I can customize compilation-search-directories with absolute paths
> (so dirty).

This shouldn't be necessary.  I don't find it necessary with a
relatively stock GNU Emacs anyway.

Bob