Re: makefile question: always recompile a file

From: Chris McDonald
Subject: Re: makefile question: always recompile a file
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

Jim <james.ro123@yahoo.com> writes:

>I'm using a make program similar to gnu make.  I'd like to always
>recompile a file whenever ANY file is compiled (or assembled).
>Preferably (but not absolutely necessary), I'd like the file to
>recompile if the linker runs as well, but this sounds really tough.
>In case you're wondering, this file contains a global array that has
>time and date stamp information in it so we can tell when the project
>was last built.

>Some engineers don't like a simple "delete the object file always when
>make runs" approach because if you inadvertently run make a second
>time, you get a recompile even if no sources changed.

As I'm sure you know, compiling the date into the program is the easy
part.  In my Makefile I add these actions to the primary target:

        @rm -f lastmod.c
        @date '+char *LASTMODIFIED = "%l:%M%P %b %d %Y";' > lastmod.c
        @$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c lastmod.c

I have lastmod.c as one of the dependencies of my final target, so the
above is only executed and compiled (before linking) if any other the
other source file will also require compiling.

--
Chris.