Re: [Help-gnunet] Node makes lots of connections to itself

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Node makes lots of connections to itself
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:29:57 -0500

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 02:31, Christian Schulte wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:39:37 -0700
>
> Steven <address@hidden> wrote:
> > My node makes lots of connections to itself.  Is this normal?
> >
> > I'm behind a hardware nat, I loaded the nat transport, I set LIMITED to
> > "no" and I forwarded the apropriate port.  Could there still be a config
> > problem?
>
> How do you know that it connects to itself ? I am just curious because i
> allways supposed that it is impossible.

Right, the code does not allow connections to the node itself, and it does not
use the IP/port or anything transport specific for that but just the
public/private key of the host.  I think what you may be seeing is the
loopback connections of the clients to the gnunetd server.  What is the port
for TCP/UDP (that is forwarded from the NAT), and what is the port for the
client applications (defaults: 2086 and 2087, the numbers are close, the
difference is everything)?  Where are you really seeing the loopback
connection (on which of the 2 ports)?  And is the loopback connection still
there if you are only running gnunetd (no gnunet-gtk, no
gnunet-download/insert etc.)?

Christian