Re: [Help-gnunet] what's up with indexed_requests.txt ?

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] what's up with indexed_requests.txt ?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:55:57 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> > Also, can this file be used to get an idea of what people are actually
> > downloading off my machine?
> That was why Igor added this functionality.  It should probably be disabled by
> default, though.

Oops. It appears we (probably I) have screwed up by accidentally
leaving it on in the CVS. The feature should have been off.

> > Does it differentiate between actual
> > requests and what gnunet pushes out at random?
> The current code does not differenciate.

If there really is even an one-downloader external demand
for a file, it can be rather soon seen as a peak, if you
create a plot or a histogram of the indexed_requests. Randomly
pushed blocks, as they are distributed evenly, should not be
on the same scale at all.

The following simple script for octave shows the
10 most popular entries in database.list,

---cut---
a=load('indexed_requests.txt');
h=hist(a(:,1),1:max(a(:,1)));
[s,si]=sort(-h);