Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Measures Against Abuse not a topic of FAQ
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:32:55 +0200

Dear Jan,

The kinds of abuse you are concerned about seem to all be of a
commercial nature, and thus have less to do with the P2P overlay
network, but with the payment system.  After all, who'd pay for those
kinds of services on Silk Road with their credit card?

For GNUnet, the payment system we want to see is GNU Taler
(https://taler.net/), which offers one-sided anonymity: the buyer is
anonymous, but the seller is not.  As the state can easily identify the
merchants and perform an audit to obtain the (digitally signed) contract
between merchant and customer, the Taler payment system should not work
for sustained illegal activities.

I should point out that there are other forms of abuse that I am
concerned about and for which we have some plans (see in particular
https://gnunet.org/p4t).

Happy hacking,

Christian