FreeBSD 5.3 setup help

From: LD
Subject: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:40:04 +1100

Hi all,

I've set up a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.3 and am looking to keep make this as a reasonably clean GNUstep system for development purposes. So, being a bit fresh on the GNUstep scene I'd appreciate any tips to setting up this wonderful environment from those who have already done so.

What I've done so far (i.e., post-FreeBSD installation stuff):
$ su

# install cvsup and update ports tree
$ cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui && make install clean
$ cp /usr/share/examples/{ports,stable}-supfile ~/cvsup/
( and change the cvsup host references )
$ cvsup -g -L 2 ~/cvsup/ports-supfile
$ cvsup -g -L 2 ~/cvsup/stable-supfile
$ cd /usr/ports && make index

# install portupgrade and update the ports
$ cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade && make install clean
$ portsdb -uU
$ pkgdb -F
$ portupgrade -a

(If anyone has any better suggestions to the above as I'm reasonably green on BSD as well that'd be great to hear).

So, I'm now ready to setup GNUstep, I figure. I'm hoping for the path of least resistance for now just to get up and running (and later on to develop my understanding of building a best-of-breed GNUstep system).

Right, so I've now issued:
$ portupgrade -N devel/gnustep

Suggestions from here?

One strange thing I'm seeing is that even though I've already got gcc 3.4.2 installed it's installing gcc 3.3.6! How do people overcome these kinds of things?

Thanks very much...

with regards,

--
Lachlan Deck