Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:12:42 +0100 (MET)

[...]
> You've made you point clear that you dislike the usage of procfs.  The
> question remains, do we have a /dependency/ that leads to certain
> features of the API not functioning on FreeBSD?
[...]

I never said the API wouldn't work on FreeBSD.

I said, even though there is no /proc on FreeBSD 5.x, you can always
use --disable-proc (or something similar) on 'configure' since BSD
does have libkvm.

The problem with NSProcessInfo is, that if libkvm does NOT exist, and
tries /proc instead, it most likely will fail, because NSProcessInfo
tries to open and read file '/proc/<pid>/cmdline' which may well exist
on Linux, but does not necessarily exist on other systems. Or if it does,
it does not necessarily have the expected information.

On a side note regarding NSProcessInfo+load:
The arguments passed to kvm_open() differ from what Solaris' kvm_open()
expects and kvm_getprocs() doesn't even exist on Solaris. Contrary to
what the opening comment states about being compatible.

--
Chris

--
GMX im TV ... Die Gedanken sind frei ... Schon gesehen?
Jetzt Spot online ansehen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/tv-spot