Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:28:40 +0100 (MET)

Alex Perez wrote:
> Chris Vetter wrote:
> > I said, even though there is no /proc on FreeBSD 5.x, you can always
> > use --disable-proc (or something similar) on 'configure' since BSD
> > does have libkvm.
> Yes, which, at the current moment, has a bug which makes *IT* dependent
> on /proc. Pascal Hofstee(sp?) is aware of this issue and is trying to
> make a patch to libkvm. Jeremy Tregunna(sp?) said that if Pascal doesn't
> get a patch whipped up in a reasonable amount of time, he will do so
> himself. This bug requires that, on FreeBSD 5+, /proc be mounted during
> GNUstep compilation (and possibly even after it, although I'm not sure
> about it) because libkvm itself has some sort of messed up and broken
> /proc dependency when certain API calls are used.

I've been running GNUstep on FreeBSD 5.2 for quite a while and never
ran into any problems with NOT having /proc...

> > The problem with NSProcessInfo is, that if libkvm does NOT exist, and
> > tries /proc instead, it most likely will fail, because NSProcessInfo
> > tries to open and read file '/proc/<pid>/cmdline' which may well exist
> > on Linux, but does not necessarily exist on other systems. Or if it
> > does, it does not necessarily have the expected information.
> As far as I know, this was fixed long ago, Chris. Maybe you've been
> checked out for a while from active GNUstep development, or maybe I'm
> wrong, but I think Pascal fixed this. He did a lot of stuff to get
> GNUstep working more properly under FreeBSD.

Yes I have been 'away' for a long time, and as it looks I will be
for quite a while longer :-(
However, I DID take a look at the current NSProcessInfo.m in CVS
before I wrote the statement above.

> > On a side note regarding NSProcessInfo+load:
> > The arguments passed to kvm_open() differ from what Solaris' kvm_open()
> > expects and kvm_getprocs() doesn't even exist on Solaris. Contrary to
> > what the opening comment states about being compatible.
> *shrug* so much for standards

Unfortunately, I don't have a FreeBSD system available here at work
(I need to remedy that ;-) so I can only rely on memory, but as I said
above, running GNUstep off FreeBSD 5.2, I never had problems.

I'm moving in a couple of weeks once more. Once I'm all set up, I'll
pick up working on/for/with GNUstep again, particularly running
GNUstep on FreeBSD (of course 8-) and Slowlaris...

Hopefully, I will be able to provide more practical help than just
bitching, then :-)

Cheers,

--
Chris